TBR: January 2017

Last year I did not read as much as I could (and wished to), so I am bringing back the TBRs. While in the past I was trying to keep my TBR a small pile, this year I am shooting for the stars! The goal is not to read everything, but to feel inspired to read! And if I read something else, well that's also great. I don't even have copies of everything, but I am truly excited to start a new reading year - and I am really in the mood for more blog posts about books.

Now these two are the things I kinda really want to read this month - and are, at the moment, the only physical copies in my TBR pile. This year I am feeling more into classics than anything else so I went to my big bookcase with books I did not read and chose these two as the classics to tackle this month!

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro is one of the books I wanted to read for so long. This would be my second Kazuo Ishiguro book - and, surprise, surprise, the first (and only) book I read by him was not Never Let Me Go (although I love the film and have the book), but An Artist of the Floating World - I read it when I was in high school and loved it. Anyway, I heard awesome things about The Remains of the Day and I purchased the book in a second-hand bookstore years and years ago so it's finally time to read it!

The second on the list is A Room of One's Own by Virgina Woolf, another book I waited too long to read. Plus it's less than half of the book in the picture (cause it's two in one), it's a nonfiction feminist essay (plus a classic) - and I gotta work on my feminist reads.

On to the digital we go (and then there's a short - or not - list with other things I want to hopefully touch on this month):

If you have a Samsung device, then you can download Kindle for Samsung (from Galaxy Apps) and if you sign in with your Samsung account, then you can choose a free book out of the four Samsung Book Deals each month. Since I have a Samsung tablet (and kinda work for Samsung), I decided to try to read the Samsung book of choice each month. It was not easy to decide what to pick as they also offered a zombie book and an interesting contemporary chick-lit book (plus a romance book I was not interested in), but I went with Opal Fire (A Stacy Justice Mystery #1) by Barbra Annino as I have a lot of "hard" books and an easy romance-humor-mystery novel would do me good - plus it's with witches!

Also, this year I will attempt to read all of Shakespeare's creations in one year!! Someone created a daily reading plan and I will try to follow it, so this month I should read: The Two Gentlemen of Verona - starting the year with a comedy, The Taming of the Shrew - which was on my reading list since forever and I own the book but it's in my hometown, plus I am trying to read all Shakespeare in English (I discovered a few years ago that I enjoy it more that way, weirdly, I know) and Henry VI, Part 1. I am also reading Sonnets, Venus & Adonis and will have to start Henry VI, Part 2, but these will continue on the following month.

Speaking of digital, I started reading The Archived (The Archived #1) by Victoria Schwab, because it really sounds like an interesting read - where you practically become a book after you die. So far I am enjoying it. And since we are on the category "things started in December", I am listening to Dune (Dune #1) by Frank Herbert and I think I have more than two thirds left of the audio-book but I am enjoying it immensely - it's a huge complex story and it's so damn good!

And we are at the end with things I want to try and read in January (plus some books I'm looking forward in February - told you my TBR is huge):

Okay, this is all for January - I will attempt to finish only 11-12 books. I know it's crazy, because I am busy and Netflix just got the the final seasons from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and Luther - two of my favourite TV discoveries from 2016 so there's some watching to do, plus a lot of drawings and work. 

That being said, here's a short preview of the books that are already on my February TBR: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence (reread), and The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Plus all the Shakespeare from that month and I have a feeling I will add more even if I don't get to read all the books I have from January!

Happy New Year and Happy Reading!

Popular posts from this blog

On Happiness and Other Demons

Present Day Goals